Saturday, October 11, 2008

1984 Chapter 1

On a cold winter day, Winston Smith walks slowly along the streets, into his house. As he is going up the stair ways of his house he sees the sign BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU. He is a member of the party that is currently governing the world. Winston works in the ministry of truth and after seeing the evil doings of the government, commits some thought crime.

This particular chapter was interesting to me because it told of the misery any situations can bring if he/she was involved in a totalitarain government. When I think of that situation, I don't think I can survive through that hardship.

This actually relates to me a bit because I live in a dormitory system where everybody is watched through the cameras everywhere. I feel like the cameras are symbolizing the sign BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU every time.

No comments: